Rava(Semolina) Dosa with Coconut Chutney

Most dosa batters take a long time to prepare and also require pre-planning like soaking,grinding etc. Here's a recipe for Rava(Semolina) dosa which can be made in a jiffy !



You will need:

1 cup Peni Rava (Fine Sooji/Semolina)
1 cup Rice flour
1 cup Maida (all purpose flour)
3 tbsps yoghurt (slightly sour)
1” pc. Ginger (finely chopped)
3-4 green chillies (finely chopped)
Chopped corriander
Salt to taste
Water as required






  • Mix all of the above with water to form a thin consistency. Look at picture below.
  • Let the batter sit for atleast 30 minutes before making dosas. The longer the better.
  • Heat a non-stickpan. Apply oil. Pour a thin layer of batter on the hot tawa.
  • Cook on medium flame, uncovered to make a crisp dosa.
  • Serve hot with Coconut chutney (recipe follows).


Coconut Chutney:

You will need:
4 tbsps. Fried gram (hurgadle)
¾ cup fresh grated coconut
6 green chillies
Salt to taste
½ bunch coriander
Few sprigs Mint

Mint is my secret ingredient J just a few sprigs and it adds a whole lot of flavour to the chutney.









  1. Powder the fried gram in a blender.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients and blend till everything comes together.
  3. Garnish with seasoning: Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urad dhal and chana dal. Add curry leaves and a pinch of hing.


Try this and impress your guests in a flash! :)

5 comments:

  1. Love the combo!! Looks mouthwatering!:))
    Happy I day girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I gotto try, I always forget to soak rice/dhal :)

    Happy Independence day to u !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Asha and Ash, wishing both of you too a very Happy I-Day! Ash, try it tonight if you have all the ingredients on hand..it hardly takes time to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Namratha, just came across your blog. Rava Dosa is indeed very convenient to make esp as a breakfast. All that I need to do is soak (which takes barely a couple of minutes) - and the making can happen while one is serving.

    these are two proportions that i use:

    Rava:Rice Flour: Maida
    1:1/2:1/2 (my amma's formula)

    1:1:1/2 (my mil's formula)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :Akshmi, I use your MIL's formula too sometimes esp when I'm out of Maida! Try my recipe too, I'm sure you will like it. The youghurt adds more taste.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin